Monday, June 25, 2012

Why People Should Stop Making Remakes (Part One)

Okay, so I'm all for opening the younger generation to the classic older films, but you don't need to remake, recut, recast, or otherwise reshoot the film.

Here are three examples of what I think of as failed remakes (or "homage") , and three films that SHOULD NEVER be remade.

Well...Part One:

My Rating Scale for Films:

(High to Low)
EPIC
GREAT
ALRIGHT
OUCH.
NO.
LAME.


Failed Remake #1:


A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010):


I just want to know what the heck the filmmakers were thinking of with this one? I guess my only question is this, 'WHY?!' Michael Bay should really stick to explosive action films.

I am an avid horror fan and I just...honestly, I was alright with this when I first saw it. But...seeing it now from the perspective of someone older...I time-watched. It was awful!

Firstly, they made Freddy a child-molester...Freddy was not originally a pedophile. He wasn't. It was kind of an uncomfortable choice and it was really unconvincing that the parents didn't tell their children about it. They let them repress the memory...that doesn't lead to trouble at all.

Secondly, Jackie Earle Haley looked like a burnt lion. No joke. Make Up FAIL. And this is after they had to re-shoot for make up errors.

All in all, this movie was an epic fail. Robert Englund should've made like Richard O'Brian (Another Story) and said NO to this failure.

Rating:
Lame




Untouchable Film #1:


The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975):

Good God I love this film. I mean, this is just the perfect cult classic right here. For those of you not given the gift that is this film, it's about these super stupid kids who get stranded without a spare tire and end up stuck in this freaky house (owned by a transvestite). 

TIM CURRY. This man (also known as Nigel Thornberry by those of you born circa 1994-1996) was amazing in this film! You just can't not act with this character.
I can't say too much or I will basically give you the whole film, but I'm totally recommending it to you! Plus the Midnight Shows are totally fun...you get to dress up in some bizarre costumes (that are really cute!)!



Rating:
EPIC

Thank God, Richard O'Brian had the common sense to voice his displeasure with plans to remake this.Unfortunately...he did let the next failure happen...Which brings me to...

Failed Remake #2:


The Rocky Horror Glee Show:



That was my reaction exactly. I LOVE Glee, don't get me wrong (especially since Darren Criss joined the cast) but this was just an abortion. Those fellow Rocky Horror Fans will probably understand the following list of problems with this episode:


  • They censored the word, 'Transsexual' in the song, "Sweet Transvestite".
    • My problem with this is (besides ruining what is easily the best song in the original film) is that Glee is known for being a very strong advocate of LGBT rights. It seems extremely hypocritical. Richard O'Brian did express his confusion at this as well.
    • The song literally explains Frank N Furter as a character; an introduction song.
    • The original:
    • The Glee Version:
  • They made Will such a butt-monkey. As many 'Gleeks' know, Mr. Schuester (Matthew Morrison) is generally a well-rounded, kind, and caring teacher. Will often places the glee kids in front of everything (including his own marriage), but his only REAL reason for putting on 'The Rocky Horror Show' is to have sex with Emma Pillsbury (Jayma Mays), who by the way is married to Dr. Carl Howell (John Stamos or Uncle Jesse). 
    • The Casting of the play goes like this:
      • (Original)
        • Brad Majors - Finn Hudson
        • Janet Weiss - Rachel Berry
        • Columbia - Tina Cohen-Chang, Brittany S. Pierce
        • Magenta - Santana Lopez, Quinn Fabray
        • Riff Raff - Kurt Hummel
        • Frank-N-Furter - Mercedes Jones
        • Rocky Horror - Sam Evans
      • Will's Revised Edition:
        • Rocky Horror - Himself
        • Eddie - Carl
    • So AFTER he and Emma basically scar the classroom that they sing ' Touch-A Touch-A Touch Me', he's all like, "I should be Rocky, and show off my hot body..."
      • Rocky and Janet are "together" in the play and film.
      • SO UNCOMFORTABLE!

Anyway, that was part one of the two part series, if you have any rages against some "failed" remakes, comment and let me know!


XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment