Friday, June 15, 2012

Inspiration to Me: Part One (The Female Inspiration)

Inspiration is one of the most important things ever to an artist. Whatever it is, and whoever it is, and whatever you call it. I am by no means calling myself an artist, but as a human being we all have people who we look up to. I have so many (many being family, but I will not ever talk about my family in a blog post, honestly that is one thing that is none of the reader's business) inspirations, muses, etc.

But right now, I only want to talk about the females that inspire me.

Girls today, we look up to the wrong people.
Examples:
Brittney Spears
Kim Kardashian
Nikki Minaj (Ew.)
Lindsey Lohan
Miley Cyrus
Selena Gomez

Notice that Lady GaGa wasn't on that list. We don't look up to these women because they've done something worth remembering, we look up to them because they're there.

Lady GaGa is an anti-bullying, LGBT activist. That's why I think she's a good role model (Weird, that's for sure) but good.

My role models (besides my family members) are:
#1 Anne Boleyn
#2 Jackie Kennedy

I know that it's a pretty odd combination of women, but bear with me.

 #1

 Anne Boleyn (1501-1536)

This woman had the worst kind of luck. She lived in a man's world. Sorry but she did. By today's standards, Henry the Eighth basically sexually harassed her, but I digress. She wasn't an everyday beauty (the standards were, Blonde, Blue eyes, and slightly plump), she was tall, slender, and dark. She lived in Tudor England, during the bloody reign of Henry the Eighth. Ole Henry was already sick of wife #1 Katherine of Aragon and had taken up with many mistresses (including Anne's sister) but he fell in love with Anne.

She used her body to get what she wanted, but at least she stuck to her conventions. The girl had class, she refused to have sex with Henry until she was Queen. She was ambitious and true, she even gave England their best monarch: Elizabeth I, "The Virgin Queen".  Unfortunately, being the second wife gave her the short end of the stick. People called her whore, and slut. Much like those jealous kids in the hallway who really don't know much about you. She miscarried time and time again. She couldn't have a male baby. Even though she gave Henry a beautiful daughter...he met another woman.

But alas, where did this get dark, strong Anne?

He cut her head off. And married his third wife, Jane Seymour,  a short nine days later.


#2

Jacqueline Lee Bouvier Kennedy Onassis (1929-1994)

Obviously, by my quote on the left, you can tell that I admire Mrs. Kennedy. I think that she was the most beautiful and the most graceful woman in the world during a time of turmoil. She too had an unfaithful husband, but she was lucky: Presidents can't execute their wives.

Not that JFK would have anyway...he loved his darling wife. She gave him two children, Caroline, and John Jr (1960-1999). Technically she gave him four, unfortunately their first child, Arabella was a stillborn, and their fourth child Patrick died of a respiratory infection. Jackie was a picture perfect wife, and she became the model of the modern First Lady.

We all remember her in the pink stained suit. Personally, if I was married, and my husband was shot in front of me and his brains, for lack of a better word, splattered onto me: I would've flipped out. She didn't. She remained collected, and got through that awful day in November.

Everybody remembers her at John's funeral, she stood proud and kept her emotions in. She was strong for her children and put them first before everything. That was also her son's birthday. They still celebrated it though.

Jackie even married Aristotle Onassis, just to keep her children safe, after Robert Kennedy was assassinated.

She lived her life in public and remained emotionally removed. You will never, ever, see a picture of this woman crying. She saved that for private.

Mrs. Kennedy passed away in 1994 of cancer, being one of the only Kennedys to die after a fully lived life.


These are women we should admire, and only some. They actually contributed to world progress:
Anne was the catalyst for the Protestant Reformation.
Jackie was "America's Widow", became an editor after her two husbands' deaths, and fought to preserve Grand Central Station, as well as many other monuments.

I'd like to see Kim Kardashian preserve anything other than a 72 day marriage. I'd like to see Lindsey Lohan be the catalyst to anything other than stricter drug laws. I'm not even going to touch Nikki Minaj...I just can't stand her.

Thanks for reading, and I truly hope that this made you, the reader, see things from a different light.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment